Action Bound Example

Here is the text from the admin page from Action Bound.

1. Where was Chief Si’ahl father’s territory pre-colonization?

Points 100
Mode: Multiple choice

  • Bainbridge
  • Bremerton
  • Blake
  • Vashon
  • West Seattle

Correct answer required to continue

2. Find spot.

From this location you can take a ferry to any of the locations listed in the last quiz.
Points 100
Coordinate: 47.602069, -122.336959
Players must find the spot before they are allowed to continue. This step cannot be skipped.

3. Find the Historical Marker to answer the quiz

Points 100
Coordinate: 47.600663, -122.336049
Players must find the spot before they are allowed to continue. This step cannot be skipped.

4. Information

Visitors walking along Alaskan Way, part of the Seattle waterfront, might notice an unobtrusive historical marker attached to an anchor and mounted on a square, concrete base. This anchor and historical monument are located near a very historic pergola that was once used as a boat launch for passengers ferrying in and around Puget Sound. This particular anchor has a metal plaque with an inscription that says the following:

HISTORICAL POINT OF INTEREST BALLAST ISLAND IN THIS AREA, ONCE PART OF THE BAY, VESSELS FROM PORTS ALL OVER THE WORLD DUMPED THEIR BALLAST. UNTOLD THOUSANDS OF TONS WERE UNLOADED INTO THE WATER BY SHIP’S CREWS, INCLUDING 40,000 TONS FROM SAN FRANCISCO’S TELEGRAPH HILL.

THE ISLAND, LONG A GATHERING PLACE FOR INDIANS ON THEIR ANNUAL MIGRATIONS, WAS COVERED IN THE 1890’S BY CONSTRUCTION OF RAILROAD AVENUE (NOW CALLED ALASKAN WAY).

PRESENTED BY THE YUKON CLUB AND PROPELLER CLUB https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMG5Z7_Ballast_Island_Historical_Marker_Seattle_WA

5. Quiz: Who once called Ballast Island home?

Points 100
Mode: Multiple choice
  • Settler Colonizers
  • the Salish
  • some of the Duawamish
  • Irish Fur Traders
Correct answer required to continue

6. Information

EXILE TO BALLAST ISLAND ballast island.jpg “Ballast Island” was created when sailing ships dumped their ballast of boulders and other materials at the City of Seattle’s waterfront before taking on cargoes of lumber, grains, or other goods destined for San Francisco and other ports.

Duwamish families and other Native Americans came by canoe to the Seattle waterfront. Some were seasonal visitors, seeking work. Native Americans harvested and sold shellfish, and sold woven baskets and carvings, catering to the Whites’* (maybe another way to say this?) demand for souvenirs. Some were traveling to harvest the hopfields upriver. For some Duwamish, Ballast Island became a year-round residence by 1885.

The Duwamish had been forced from their Longhouses in the new city of Seattle and other parts of their homeland. The United States Army and other Whites* burned the Longhouses to prevent the Duwamish from returning to their traditional homeland.

Many Duwamish people did not want to relocate to live with traditional enemies at reservations built far from their ancestral villages and burial grounds. For several years, they were allowed to live on the bleak parcel of land, devoid of fresh water and other vital resources. Over time, the Duwamish adopted the use of canvas tents to replace their traditional cattail mat shelters.

In time, even Ballast Island became too valuable to the settlers and the Duwamish were exiled once again. By 1917, at the beginning of World War One, Native Americans living on Ballast Island was a distant memory.

https://www.duwamishtribe.org/exile-to-ballast-island

7. Quiz: Where did the Intertribal Canoe Journey land in Seattle last year?

Points 100
Mode: Multiple choice
  • Pier 62
  • Sculpture Park
  • Alki Beach
  • Lincoln Park
Correct answer required to continue
Show solution if answered incorrectly

8. Information

On Thursday, some of the canoe families participating in this year’s Intertribal Canoe Journey, the Paddle to Lummi, will stop at Alki Beach. We’ve confirmed with the Alki-hosting Muckleshoot Tribe‘s cultural director Willard Bill Jr. that they are expected to start arriving around noon on Thursday. Fewer canoes this year because the journey is northbound – he says they’re expecting about 15. They will then travel by land to the Muckleshoot Powwow Grounds in Auburn and depart Alki on Friday morning for the next stop – here’s a map of the stops before and after (those stopping here will have been with the Puyallup Tribe the night before, and headed to Suquamish the night after). Every year a different tribe/nation in the region hosts the celebration at the end of the journey route.

https://westseattleblog.com/2019/07/canoe-journey-alki-beach-stop-this-week/

9. Find spot

Take the Water Taxi to Alki beach.
Points 100
Coordinate 47.589349, -122.380475
Players must find the spot before they are allowed to continue. This step cannot be skipped.

10. Information

The Sea Scouts and Boy Scouts troops of Seattle erected “Our Little Sister of Liberty” here at Alki Beach in 1952 as part of a national campaign to recognize the 40th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America. The project was called “Strengthen the Arm of Liberty” and was led by Jack Whitaker, a Kansas City Scout Leader, who encouraged scouts across the U.S to place these statues in their communities as an important reminder of the value of liberty and freedom cherished by all. Between 1948 and 1952 more than 200 replicas, which are 1/18th the size of the original in New York harbor, were placed in 39 states and 4 American territories. The monument stands as a symbol of the freedom and love of liberty in which we all believe and is a testimony to the citizen activism and the generosity of spirits of the Alki Beach community, donors from Seattle, and across the country.

Due to the conditions from the weather and vandalism, the Alki Statue of Liberty was rejuvenated in 2007 and the new plaza was dedicated on September 6, 2008.

The Alki Statue of Liberty has come to represent a monument of togetherness during times of remembrance and strife throughout America and the world. On September 11th, 2001, the Alki Statue of Liberty turned into a memorial and has done so ever since for such occasions.

Information gathered from the Alki Statue of Liberty plaque and from information recorded in collections of the Log House Museum. https://www.loghousemuseum.org/alki-walking-tour/

11. Find spot: Find the Alki Statue of Liberty.

Points 100
Coordinate 47.579450, -122.410626
Players must find the spot before they are allowed to continue. This step cannot be skipped.

12. Find spot: Find the Alki Homested

https://www.loghousemuseum.org/alki-walking-tour/

Points 100
Coordinate 47.578545, -122.411157

13. Information

The Alki Homestead was built out of local Douglas fir log, river rock in the fire places, and other local natural resources in 1904 for Seattle Soap Company owner, William J. Bernard, his wife Gladys, and their daughter Marie. In 1903, construction on the Alki Homestead began using the architect Fred L. Fehren with the builder most likely being Frederick A. Sexton. It is an early representation of a rustic bungalow craftsman style of home that became a staple of Puget Sound architecture. The front façade contains the main entrances which originally was a side entrance with the main entrances being those facing north or towards the beach. The reorientation of the house presumably occurred by 1912 with new development to the north along Alki Avenue SW. The wrap around porch extended approximately halfway along the back from the north side. In 1961 a wood framed kitchen addition extended the southern part of the western (or current back) of the homestead. In 1980 an outdoor patio added to the northern part of the western (or current back) of the homestead. The original floor plan indicates a dining room and brick fireplace in the southeast corner of the main floor. The living room claimed the entire north end of the main floor, surrounded on the east, north, and west sides by a wraparound porch and dominated by an open-hearth log and cobblestone fireplace on the south wall. The main floor’s southwest corner contained the kitchen. Upstairs held four bedrooms and the house had a total of two bedrooms, displaying the opulence of the owners as indoor plumbing was not yet available for much of the peninsula. The upstairs opened onto a gallery of which was seen the living room below. A stained glass skylight occupied the peak of the main roof.

William and Gladys Bernard were well-known members of Seattle society in the 19th and 20th centuries. William was a prominent manufacturer as he served as the president of the Seattle Soap Company and of the Manufacturer’s Association. Gladys worked for children’s charities throughout Seattle. The Bernard’s frequently spent their summers vacationing at beach front camping resorts in the Alki area. In December of 1902, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer announced the Bernard’s intention to build a log house. They continued the tradition of summer camping at Alki while the Fir Lodge was built. In 1903, the Bernard’s hired Fred L. Fehren to construct Fir Lodge as their primary residence, fronting Alki Beach. They moved into the house by at least the spring of 1904.

William J. Bernard was born in San Francisco in 1861 and came to Seattle in 1889. Gladys was originally from Cedar Rapids, Iowa and came to Washington in 1890. The two wed in 1892 with the ceremony occurring at the Governor’s residence in Olympia. William established the city’s first soap factory soon after he arrived in Seattle. Initially called the W.J. Bernard Company, it appeared as Seattle Soap Company in local newspaper advertising sections by at least 1894. The factory was located on the tidal flats, near the present day intersection of Airport Way and Lander Street. The soap company offered multiple cleaning products such as vegetable oils and soaps, soda, ash, grease, and tallow. Gladys worked for the benefit of children in the greater Seattle community, especially orphans and children of immigrant workers. She founded the Bernard Sunday School Mission and supported the Washington Children’s Home. She and William adopted two children, Marie and Billie. Marie came to the Bernard’s before the Alki home was built. The Bernard’s frequently entertained while living at Fir Lodge. In August of 1906, it was reported that the largest outdoor entertainment of the summer occurred there with the house and gardens decorated with ferns, cut flowers, and Japanese lanterns. This event was attended by Governor Alfred Mead. They sold the homestead in 1906 siting the remote location and difficulty with travel as the reason to moving back to Seattle proper. In 1906, the Seattle Auto Club bought the homestead and its lands for $16,000. The Bernard’s had bought the land and the home for $7,500 four years before from Lorena Smith, wife of Alfred Smith and owner of the Stockade Hotel. Lorena’s parents had bought the entire Alki Point acreage in the late 1860s from Doc Maynard.

In 1907, the Seattle Auto Club took over the homestead and converted the house into their members’ clubhouse with multiple dining areas. The club used the exterior wraparound porch as informal dining space with table and chairs set up like an outdoor café. The former living and dining rooms became dining areas with the upstairs bedrooms converted to private dining spaces. During this time the SAC published their first tour book providing information on hotels and mechanics, organized trips to Cohasset Beach and Moclips Beach, paved the way for automobile travel to be allowed in Mt. Rainier National Park and later other national parks, promoted and sponsored a transcontinental race from New York City to Seattle, and met with representatives from Portland, Vancouver, and Victoria to discuss and promote a highway between Vancouver B.C. to Los Angeles, which became Highway 99. After the Seattle Auto Club sold the homestead in 1911, the next owners returned the house into living quarters as a private home and then for tenants. The one exception was in 1927 when an ad was found for the “Fir Lodge Inn” which offered rooms with “home cooked meals…affording bathing, boating, dancing, and beautiful play grounds for children.” In 1950 Svend and Margaret Nielsen bought the property and created the Alki Homestead Restaurant.

In 1950, the Alki Homestead Restaurant was opened on the main floor with two apartments on the second floor. A rooftop sign was installed, the skylight was removed, and the upstairs gallery was closed off. The kitchen was expanded in 1953, followed by the west side addition in 1961. The wraparound porch was partially enclosed in the early 1960s and in 1980 a rear patio again reconfigured the western portion of the house. By 1987 the upstairs turned into the owner’s apartment, utility space, and a banquet room. A few owners came and went throughout the restaurant’s tenure but in 1962 Elmer H. and Doris Nelson bought the homestead, operated the restaurant, and lived upstairs until Doris’s death in 2004. In 2006, Thomas Lin bought the restaurant. In 2009 a fire damaged the roof and some windows on the southern and western parts of the homestead. Lin sold the homestead to Dennis Schilling in 2015 with preservation in mind.

The construction of the Alki homestead between 1903 and early 1904 is a direct representation of the development of West Seattle and particularly the Alki neighborhood. Fir Lodge marks a turning point in Alki’s history, when its days as a rustic summer vacation locale for Seattle’s upper class yielded to the beginning of a year-round community. It is a rare remnant of Alki’s early days as a remote getaway for Seattle socialites.

“Alki Homestead: This Place Matters” Historic Seattle National Trust for Historic Preservation 9 June 2010 http://historicseattle.org/alki-homestead-this-place-matters/

“Alki Homestead to be Restored” Historic Seattle 18 March 2015 https://historicseattle.org/alki-homestead-to-be-restored

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form OMB No. 1024-0018. United States Department of the Interior National Park Service www.dahp.wa.gov/sites/default/files/WA_King_County_FirLodge_FINAL.pdf

Sherrard, JR “Seattle Now & Then: Return of the Homestead” Seattle Now and Then 28 August 2015 https://pauldorpat.com/2015/08/28/seattle-now-then-return-of-the-homestead/

Soap Gazette and Perfumer, Volumes 9-10. Chas. S. Berriman Publisher, New York: 1 January 1907.

“William Bernard, Seattle Soap Co.” The American Perfumer and Essential Oil Review, Volume 14. Perfumer Publisher Company, New York: March 1919-February 1920

https://www.loghousemuseum.org/alki-walking-tour/

15: Find spot: Find the Log House Museum.

Points 100
Players must find the spot before they are allowed to continue. This step cannot be skipped.

16. Information

The Log House Museum was one of five smaller houses that originally surrounded the Alki Homestead. Built around 1904, it also belonged to the Bernard Family and was likely used as a carriage house or servant’s quarters.

The Southwest Seattle Historical Society purchased the building in 1995 and began a restoration to preserve the house and use it as their museum. The Log House Museum cost close to a million dollars to restore and is just a quarter to a third of the size of the Alki Homestead.

The Totem Pole in the front of the museum on the eastern side of the building was originally located at Belvedere Viewpoint Park and made by Michael Morgan and Bob Fleischman. Morgan and Fleischman were both engineers at Boeing and created the pole to replace the original 1939 Bella Coola Pole on Belvedere Park. The Viewpoint totem poles started with J. E. “Daddy” Stanley, owner of Seattle’s Ye Olde Curiosity Shop, who donated the original pole created by Bella Coola Indians from Canada. This pole was meant to be sold and did not tell an ancestral story. By the 1960s, the pole was rotting. Therefore it was replaced by Morgan and Fleischman’s totem pole in 1966, as a replica of the original. In 2004, it was discovered that this pole was being eaten at the center by carpenter ants. In 2006 it was removed for restoration by the local art installation and restoration company, Artech. Artech’s Senior Technical Consultant, Roger Waterhouse, welder Cody Thomaselli, and installer Glenn Kearney administered the installation of the restored Morgan and Fleischman totem pole in front of the Log House Museum on June 3, 2014.

The current Belvedere Viewpoint Park totem pole was carved by hand by a fifth generation descendent of Chief Seattle, Michael Halady.

“Alki Homestead to be Restored” Historic Seattle 18 March 2015 https://historicseattle.org/alki-homestead-to-be-restored

Diltz, Colin “Totem pole has new home” The Seattle Times 2 June 2014 http://www.seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/picturethis/2023759662_totempolehasnewhome.html

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form OMB No. 1024-0018. United States Department of the Interior National Park Service www.dahp.wa.gov/sites/default/files/WA_King_County_FirLodge_FINAL.pdf

Sherrard, JR “Seattle Now & Then: The View from Belvedere Viewpoint” Seattle Now And Then 12 June 2010. https://pauldorpat.com/2010/06/12/seattle-now-then-the-view-from-belvedere-viewpoint/

https://www.loghousemuseum.org/alki-walking-tour/

17. Quiz

This traditional cedar post building sits across the street from a major archeological site, Duwamish Site No. 1 (45-KI-23), a designated site in the National Register of Historic Places. Archeologists have uncovered a major village dated back to 600 A.D. What is this building?

Points 100
Mode: Multiple choice
  • The Duwamish Longhouse
  • Grindline Skateparks Inc.
  • West Seattle Recycling
  • Puget Park
  • Southpark
  • Georgetown
Correct answer required to continue

18. Information

Longhouse webpage

19. Find spot: Visit the Duwamish Longhouse

Points 100
Coordinate 47.560941, -122.352006
Players must find the spot before they are allowed to continue. This step cannot be skipped.
Show map with current position and target instead of directional arrow.